Employment: Full-Time, Permanent
If you love what you do, yearn for an awesome company culture, know aquatics, and are fanatical about customer experience, this role is for you!
AJM Environmental specializes in wetland, wildlife and aquatic services including pre-development assessments, regulatory applications and environmental monitoring. Our purpose is to enable responsible, sustainable development by working with clients to understand and manage impacts to the environment. AJM offers a fast-paced working environment with a high degree of flexibility and autonomy. We are based in Calgary, the heart of the Canadian energy sector.
This posting is for an Intermediate / Senior Aquatic Biologist, who will be an integral part of the growing AJM team. Although we are primarily based in Calgary, candidates from other jurisdictions in Alberta are encouraged to apply. The following characteristics appeal to the ideal candidate:
- Fast-paced and dynamic environment;
- A growing company where efforts are recognized;
- Ability to influence and learn about a variety of aspects of the environmental industry;
- A comprehensive benefits package; and
- Great team and culture.
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Design, plan and implement field aquatic programs including fish surveys and riparian restoration in a safe, technically defensible, and efficient manner;
- Conduct environmental monitoring (e.g., fish salvage, turbidity/TSS) associated with construction projects;
- Collect CABIN data in the field;
- Analyze field data to develop management and mitigation recommendations;
- Write clearly and succinctly to convey environmental considerations and results to clients;
- Develop regulatory applications and liaise between regulators and clients when necessary;
- Support project needs related to non-aquatics-based disciplines (e.g., wildlife and wetlands);
- Lead or assist in the development of accurate scopes of work, cost estimates, project plans, schedules and deliverables for high quality project execution;
- Foster client relationships and grow the business through formal (e.g., proposal writing) and/or informal (e.g., networking) methods; and
- Work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team, often outside of office hours, to meet challenging deadlines and client requests.
Specific skills and requirements we are looking for include:
- A willingness to go the extra mile;
- A self-starter who thrives in a demanding environment working as part of a team;
- Ability to work independently with great communication skills;
- Ability to learn new technology (and have fun while doing so!);
- Minimum of B.Sc. in Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, or related discipline;
- Registered, or eligible to register as a Professional Biologist in Alberta and/or BC is preferred;
- A Qualified Aquatic Environmental Specialist (QAES) able to provide recommendations and specifications during construction;
- Three years of related, professional experience including aquatic surveys, impact assessment, permitting and regulatory approvals, and post construction monitoring / mitigation planning;
- A desire to get hands dirty in the field;
- Ability to work remotely for extended periods;
- Able to prioritize competing initiatives and deal with ambiguity;
- A strong track record in health and safety;
- A clean driving record; and
- Self-motivated, organized and entrepreneurial.
Candidates with current certificates or training in the following areas are preferred: Ice Rescue Training, Swift Water Rescue Technician – Level 1, Electrofishing (Crew Leader), First Aid (with CPR), CABIN Technician, ATV/OHV/ARGO, Wildlife Awareness (including Bear Safe), Defensive Driving, H2S Alive, Valid Class 5 Drivers License, Pipeline Construction Safety Training (or equivalent).
If this sounds like you, we would love to chat.
AJM has engaged executive search firm, Pekarsky & Co., to assist us with this hire. For more information about the role, or to apply, please reach out to Erin Dand, Client Partner, at Pekarsky & Co. at 403-407-1966 or at email@example.com. You can also check out Pekarsky & Co.’s posting at https://pekarskyco.com/jobs/intermediate-aquatic-biologist-wr-579/.
Thanks for your interest!