Since we started EDI 26 years ago, our people have defined our culture and have been instrumental in our success. As we continue to grow, we look for team members who want to grow their careers and make a difference by working with our senior leaders. Our culture focuses on quality, support, mentoring, teamwork, positive attitudes, and flexibility to “do it right” for our clients. We promote innovation at all levels. Our members are self-motivated, enthusiastic for continual improvement and strong communicators. Through relationships built among team members, we realize that EDI is not just a company, it is our company.
Our benefits include:
• A challenging, dynamic, engaging and rewarding career experience
• Competitive compensation, including health benefits, profit-sharing and employee share ownership programs
• Working with a team of established market sector consultants who excel in their fields of science, environmental assessment and regulatory planning
• A corporate commitment to long-term career and personal development through opportunities and support for professional advancement (e.g., internal mentorship, annual professional development budget)
This is a permanent, full-time opportunity for the position of Environmental Regulatory Specialist in our Calgary office. In this position, you will provide senior regulatory leadership, and collaborate with a team of project managers and biologists to provide practical solutions to our clients in a cost-effective manner. In addition, you will mentor staff and contribute to business development strategies and initiatives.
The successful candidate will:
• Help determine and develop market sector opportunities, preferably in renewables, urban development or natural resource development
• Lead environmental assessment (e.g., Environmental Evaluations, Technical Proposals, Environmental Effects Assessments) and regulatory applications at the provincial, territorial, or federal levels
• Oversee the writing of high-quality scientific and technical reports, including regulatory submission documents
• Liaise with clients, stakeholders, regulatory agencies and appropriate industry-related organizations (e.g., CANREA, ASPB, AEP, AUC) to maintain expertise on market-sector trends and regulatory permitting requirements
• Help diversify EDI’s business by identifying opportunities, developing and managing client relationships, and proposal writing
• Lead environmental aspects of applications/reports to facilitate regulatory approvals in concert with project team and/or project managers
• Lead the delivery of quality work, including review of client deliverables
• Manage and lead multi-disciplinary projects, including budget and schedule management, client liaison, technical leadership and coordinating project teams through the appropriate regulatory processes
• Participate proactively in EDI’s health and safety program
We are looking for someone with:
• The desire to grow their career in an established, employee-owned company
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, with exceptional time management skills
• Knowledge of regulatory processes/applications and industry/market sector requirements and trends
• Professional report writing and senior editorial and technical review skills
• The capacity to work in a dynamic environment with senior support
• The ability to prioritize and manage several deadlines and clients
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy, coupled with enthusiasm for continual improvement
• A desire to mentor intermediate and junior staff
• The ability to occasionally conduct fieldwork in remote locations and/or travel between offices
• The aptitude to work collaboratively and effectively with junior, intermediate and senior staff of different disciplines, within teams on various projects of differing complexity, and with First Nations, sub-consultants and government agencies
Job requirements include:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in a related discipline and minimum of 10 years of experience focusing on environmental assessment and regulatory strategy and applications, or comparable combination of knowledge and experience
• Previous consulting experience in the private sector and knowledge of one or more market sector
• A professional designation (e.g., R.P.Bio., P.Biol., P.Ag. or P.Geo.) recognized in Alberta and/or BC is considered an asset
• Class 5 driver’s license
• Strong knowledge of provincial (e.g., Saskatchewan, Alberta) and federal environmental regulatory processes; expertise in other jurisdictions (e.g., British Columbia, Northwest Territories) would be considered
Application deadline - This position is open until the successful candidate is found. The applications will be reviewed on a biweekly basis.
At EDI, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. EDI believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a growing environmental company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
If you are ready for new challenges and a rewarding career experience, please email your resume and cover letter in confidence to: email@example.com with EDI2021-012 in the subject line. Only candidates requested for personal interviews will be contacted.