Senior Marine Biologist
Advisian, Worley Group
Advisian – the consulting arm of Worley. Be part of the solution.
The dual challenge of supplying energy to a growing population, while addressing the risks of climate change, is one of the greatest challenges the world is facing today. The energy transition isn’t just about alternative fuels, power generation, or use, or storage. It’s all the elements that contribute to the energy ecosystem. We view these challenges as opportunities to deliver a more sustainable world.
Advisian is a leading provider of Environment and Society (E&S) services in Canada. The E&S Service Line is a vibrant and growing team covering: Planning, Monitoring & Management (including marine, atmospherics, terrestrial, and aquatics); Society & Engagement; Regulatory, Permitting, and Approvals & Compliance. We provide a full range of environmental services with a strong reputation for technical excellence, innovation and quality of work within small project consulting and strategic advisory assignments through to large project engineering and construction management delivery. We pride ourselves on the integration of our E&S specialists with our engineering, construction management and project delivery teams. Our aim is to recruit, develop, and most importantly, retain the people who share our vision and strategy.
Our Vancouver office has a long history of delivering marine projects and is the Advisian Americas centre of excellence for marine science and engineering. Our marine science team provides dynamic, creative and high-quality technical expertise to our clients. For more information on our marine science global offering, please visit http://www.advisian.com/en/what-we-do/services/environment-and-society.
We have an exciting and challenging opportunity for a full-time Senior Marine or Fisheries Biologist based in Vancouver, BC, to join our Marine Sciences Team. This position has the opportunity for a remote or hybrid working environment. Our ideal candidate will have a strong technical background in marine ecology and permitting. While the focus is on the BC region, our marine science team is also currently delivering projects in the Canadian arctic and east coast, across the Americas and overseas.
• Contribute to the growth and capability of the Marine Sciences Team.
• Assist in developing and mentoring intermediate and junior staff.
• Provide technical oversight and review of small to large-scale Federal, Provincial and Territorial permitting applications.
• Develop and maintain positive client and regulator relationships.
• Lead marine fish and fish habitat assessments and monitoring programs including collection, analysis and reporting of marine biological, chemical, and physical data.
• Lead and contribute to the development of environmental scopes, including proposals, workplans, cost estimates and responses to Request for Proposal (RFP) or Request for Qualification (RFQ).
• Managing projects and tasks, including meeting project schedules within established budgets and delivering high quality deliverables.
• Promote and maintain a positive work environment through teamwork, collaboration and cooperation across the Marine Sciences Team, environmental and engineering disciplines and regions to meet project and business goals.
• Strong commitment to a health and safety culture, including promoting safe work practices and following established health and safety protocols.
• Bachelor or Master’s degree in marine biology, or related science field.
• 8+ years of experience in consulting, government and/or industry providing biological, environmental and/or regulatory services.
• Registration with a professional association (e.g., R.P. Bio, P. Biol) or eligibility for registration within six months of employment.
• Expertise with Federal, Provincial and Territorial permitting, regulations, and guidelines.
• Strong understanding of applicable legislation pertaining to Canadian marine environments, including, but not limited to, Fisheries Act, Species at Risk Act, Canadian Navigable Waters Act, Canadian Environmental Protection Act, BC Water Sustainability Act, Impact Assessment Act and Environmental Management Act.
• Strong knowledge of marine industries, such as ports and terminals, pipelines, dredging, shipping, infrastructure and fisheries and their potential environmental effects.
• Excellent technical writing, communication, organization and time management skills.
• Strong project management, coordination and leadership skills.
• Self-starter, problem solver and flexible team player.
• Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
• Ability to travel for local, national, and international projects.
Advisian (part of the Worley Group) offers an excellent renumeration & benefits package, a friendly, professional, dynamic and flexible work environment along with the opportunity to develop your career prospects within Canada and overseas.
We strive to be an industry leader in health, safety and environmental performance. Our vision is to achieve zero harm to people and assets, and zero environmental incidents. We select people who share our values, beliefs and commitment to this vision and who demonstrate the expected behaviors, competencies and performance associated with their prospective roles within the company.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Advisian (part of the Worley Group) is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply please forward resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org