VAST Resource Solutions Inc. (VAST) is a diverse environmental, engineering and forestry consulting company. We are a trusted advisor and regional expert, delivering professional and practical solutions for complex and challenging projects across multiple industries. VAST is a locally owned business based in Cranbrook, British Columbia (BC) and gives back to the communities we serve throughout the beautiful Kootenay regions of BC.
VAST embraces a culture that provides a welcoming and empowering environment for our employees to advance their careers, embrace new challenges, and grow their expertise while working within a collaborative, energetic, and passionate team. Employees are truly valued and respected, allowing for flexibility, creativity and an innovative approach to work/life balance.
To support VAST’s strategic goals and growth, we are on the lookout for talented individuals that will embrace our close-knit culture and positive, team-oriented working environment.
VAST is looking for an experienced Aquatic Biologist to provide science-based and project management leadership to a broad range of aquatic habitat assessment, water chemistry analysis, aquatic ecology, benthic invertebrate, field inventory/survey, stream classification, water quality monitoring, and construction environmental monitoring projects. This role involves substantial seasonal fieldwork.
• Design, perform and manage a diverse range of aquatic biota and habitat studies, including collecting, analyzing, and interpreting biological, chemical, physical, and statistical data.
• Conduct fish, aquatic, and benthic sampling using various field gear, analytical equipment, and sampling techniques in various aquatic environments.
• Coordinate, supervise and mentor other staff.
• Prepare and review detailed technical reports for clients, regulatory agencies and stakeholders.
• Provide technical leadership in preparing environmental compliance and regulatory documents required for project approval and implementation, such as Environmental Assessments, EMPs, environmental protection plans, permits and licenses.
• Assist with managing all aspects of project implementation, including proposals, work plans, budgeting, scheduling, reporting, quality management, and day-to-day client liaison.
• Develop and manage effective relationships with industry, government, Indigenous Nations, clients, and the communities where we work and live.
• Participate in business development, client relationship management and QA/QC activities.
• Contribute to a positive workplace atmosphere, building on VAST’s culture of teamwork, fun, professionalism and cooperation within the office and field environments.
Experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic consulting environment that requires flexibility, adaptive management and teamwork is a definite asset.
Our Ideal Candidate
• An MSc in aquatic ecology/biology or a related discipline plus five or more years of relevant experience, OR a BSc in a related discipline plus seven or more years of relevant experience; previous consulting experience would be a definite asset.
• Registered or eligible for immediate registration as a Professional Biologist (R.P.Bio or P.Biol).
• Knowledge of legislation, authorizations and permit requirements for freshwater ecosystems.
• Expertise in scientific study design and implementation for field data collection.
• Experience leading environmental effects assessment and monitoring studies.
• CABIN certification and knowledge of statistical analysis and database software.
• Experience liaising with regulators, Indigenous Nations, and other key stakeholders.
• Strong project management skills with experience leading and mentoring staff teams.
• Superior written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
• Detail-oriented, emphasizing quality of work.
• Committed to health, safety, and wellness.
• Valid First Aid, Swiftwater Safety Rescue, Electrofishing Crew Supervisor, Pleasure Craft Operator, Avalanche Skills Training Level 1, Snowmobile Safety and ATV/UTV Safe Operator certifications.
• Valid Driver’s License.
VAST prides itself on being valued and trusted by our employees, clients, colleagues, and the communities in which we live, work and play. We are focused on capitalizing on our team’s diverse skills and expertise to become the trusted name in resource consulting, with a proven track record of providing exceptional client service, offering practical solutions, and delivering projects on time, in scope and on budget.
VAST provides our employees with:
• Challenging and rewarding work responsibilities in a collaborative team environment.
• A friendly atmosphere, including teambuilding and social events to build camaraderie.
• Professional development, mentoring and career advancement opportunities.
• Competitive wages and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
• An annual bonus/profit-share program.
• A healthy balance between career and personal commitments.
• Flexible schedules to align with work demands and personal priorities.
• A ‘dog-friendly’ workspace, welcoming friendly critters to the office and in the field.
• Unparalleled access to the great outdoors for work and play.
If you share our values, would like to experience life in the beautiful East Kootenay region of BC, and have the skills and abilities we are seeking, please email your resume and a cover letter clearly stating why VAST is the place for you to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All responses are confidential and only individuals selected for an interview will be contacted. VAST Resource Solutions is committed to providing equitable treatment and equal opportunity to all persons throughout our recruitment, selection and employment processes.
Thank you for your interest in VAST Resource Solutions!