Project Scientist - Vegetation Ecologist ID #19969, City - Calgary, Job Type Permanent - Seasonal Full Time
WSP is currently seeking a Project Scientist – Vegetation Ecologist to join our Ecology and Environmental Impact Assessment Team in Calgary or Edmonton, Alberta or Saskatoon or Regina, Saskatchewan. Reporting to the Group Leader, the successful candidate will be provided the opportunity to work on challenging and diverse projects across the prairies and north (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Northwest Territories) with a wide range of complexity.
A day in the life:
- Conduct fieldwork for vegetation and wetland programs throughout Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Northwest Territories and Nunavut, depending on the position location.
- Previous experience organizing or leading field survey crews is an asset
- Work as part of multi-disciplinary project teams to contribute to the environmental planning and permitting efforts of various projects with a focus on vegetation and wetlands.
- Assist with the development of vegetation and wetlands technical reports, and regulatory applications.
- Support teams in completing client reports to company and industry standards.
- You will have the highest commitment to working safely, with a positive and team-oriented attitude under what can be challenging and variable conditions.
We'd love to hear from you if you have …
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree in botany, biology, ecology, environmental sciences or related field, an equivalent post secondary diploma or equivalent demonstrated experience
- 3+ years plant identification skills, ideally for wetland and upland communities in grassland, parkland and/or boreal landscapes
- 3+ years of experience working in a consulting firm in an Ecologist role or equivalent with extensive field experience;
- Vascular plant identification skills sufficient to lead rare plant surveys. Ability to identify species within challenging groups such as grasses, sedges and willows is an asset.
- Relevant professional experience conducting rare plant surveys and vegetation surveys
- Familiarity with various ecological communities throughout Western Canada
- Experience conducting wetland mapping and classification, particularly with the Alberta Wetland Policy, is an asset.
- Proficiency in imagery interpretation to delineate and classify wetlands and other vegetation types;
- Strong field skills and willingness to work in remote field locations for extended periods of time
- Basic GIS skills and understanding
- Registration with a professional association (e.g. P.Biol, P.Ag. R.T.Biol.) or working towards a designation is an asset;
- Strong, demonstrated technical written and oral communication skills are a requirement;
- A valid Alberta driver's license (min Class 5 with GDL removed);
- The desire to succeed in a dynamic, progressive organization;
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 55,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 9,800+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We are among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP :
We value our people and our reputation
We are locally dedicated with international scale
We are future focused and challenge the status quo
We foster collaboration in everything we do
We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
We are a global leader in the Earth and Environment sector, made stronger with the recent acquisition of Golder. Globally headquartered in Montreal, where it all began, we proudly serve communities from coast to coast and beyond. With Golder now part of our WSP team, we have over 14,000 multidisciplinary professionals worldwide collaborating daily to protect and conserve natural landscapes, create firm foundations for communities to stand on, and champion sustainable development to combat climate change.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources, expertise, and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from marine biologists to geophysicists to geotechnical engineers and more.
We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe and the growing list of our clients including vaccination status as part of their mandated health and safety requirements to work with them, you will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to WSP as a condition of employment. You may also be required to undergo additional immunization to maintain a fully vaccinated status against COVID-19 whenever local Public Health Authorities recommend additional immunization.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.