Action Land & Environmental Services Ltd. is seeking an Intermediate to Senior Environmental Scientist with a minimum of five years of experience in Alberta and/or Saskatchewan. This position will entail conducting and coordinating both office and field work tasks related to the following:
• vegetation and wildlife surveys for habitat assessments, special status species, and other project requirements;
• wetland classification and delineations, jurisdictional determinations, and other aquatic resource surveys using current agency protocols, regionally specific methods and other guidance;
• general environmental surveys and assessments (i.e., wetlands, watercourses, wildlife, vegetation and soils);
• water and soil sampling activities for regulatory applications; and
• environmental monitoring activities including coordinating and consulting with construction contractors and clients on work sites.
This position requires the candidate to have the knowledge and experience to be able to provide functional advice regarding environmental regulatory requirements for proposed developments, both within the organization and to external clients and regulators; prepare high quality deliverables including technical documents associated with site assessment projects, regulatory approvals and/or compliance requirements; and support business development activities, including preparation of project proposals.
The ideal candidate will also possess the following:
• Bachelor’s Degree in environmental science, biology, botany, ecology, geography, agrology, soil science or a related discipline; Master’s degree is an asset.
• Professional designation, or an eligibility for membership with an applicable professional association such as Alberta Institute of Agrologists or Alberta Society of Professional Biologists.
• A valid Class 5 driver’s license, and own a personal vehicle suitable for off-road travel.
• Strong vegetation identification skills and experience conducting vegetation assessments and rare plant surveys, soil surveys, and soil classifications.
• Experience using maps and handheld GPS, including data uploading and downloading, and preparing maps for field and reporting requirements.
• Understanding of the Alberta Wetland Classification System, with experience describing wetlands in accordance with the Alberta Water Act and Wetland Identification and Delineation Directive is an asset.
• A working knowledge of applicable federal and provincial legislation (Species at Risk Act, Migratory Birds Convention Act, Wildlife Act, Public Lands Act, Alberta Wetland Policy, Fisheries Act).
• Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with colleagues, clients and regulators.
• Experience with project management and directing a team of junior staff is an asset.
• Ability to work independently and succeed in a team-based environment.
• Willingness to travel and conduct field work in remote locations, during all weather conditions, and work during evenings and/or weekends as needed.
• Experience driving 4X4 trucks and all-terrain vehicles, and hauling all-terrain vehicles is required, and experience in piloting watercraft is an asset.
• A positive attitude and a high degree of self-motivation.
The successful candidate will be provided with the support to continually grow and develop their career in the ecological field.
The successful candidate must be willing and able to work long days in the field, often traveling on foot over long distances and difficult terrain.
This position is located in Medicine Hat, Alberta.
Please apply online at https://actionland.bamboohr.com/jobs/. This job posting will be open until a suitable candidate is found.