Western EcoSystems Technology (WEST), founded in 1990, has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. In 2017, WEST expanded into Canada by opening an office in Calgary, AB, with staff now in Alberta, Manitoba, and Ontario. In our continued drive to provide outstanding professional consulting services and original solutions to a wide range of natural resource obstacles. Western EcoSystems Technology, ULC. (WEST) has an opening for a permanent, full-time Wetland Biologist in its Calgary, AB office.
Number of positions available: Junior, Intermediate and Senior positions available
Position Type: Permanent / Full-time
Location: Calgary, AB
Tentative Start Date: Immediately
Job Closing: October 30, 2022
Primary duties may include:
• Complete and direct various tasks related to wetland desktop and field delineations, classifications, impact assessment, mitigation plan development, permitting, and restoration monitoring
• Assist a wetland practitioner, with Wetland Assessment and Impact Reports (WAIR)
• Assist a wetland practitioner with Wetland Assessment and Impact Forms (WAIF)
• Perform fieldwork use the ABWRET-A Tool and desktop assessments for the ABWRET-D
• Promote WEST’s core values of quality client service and a collaborative team approach while maintaining a positive and respectful work atmosphere
• Summarizing and entering data
• Providing reporting support as needed: compiling tables and figures, report writing
• Assisting on other surveys and field work (e.g. wildlife, soils, watercourse), as needed
This position consists of primarily 70-90% fieldwork seasonally, and travel between the field and the Calgary office. Fieldwork will require long days (8-12 hours), in a range of temperature extremes and wind speeds. Candidates must be comfortable with hazards typical of rural environments (e.g., driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, mud, snow, extreme heat, cold, working around cattle). Fieldwork can also occur in remote locations, which will require candidates to be comfortable and able to work and operate vehicles in rugged, steep terrain within areas with large carnivores. Lastly, fieldwork often occurs in areas with little to no cellphone signal. Candidates must be comfortable using satellite and radio devices for regular communication.
Staff may work independently or in small crews, and must be able to communicate and coordinate effectively with site management and WEST supervisors.
• Legally allowed to work in Canada (i.e., Canadian citizen, Canadian permanent resident, or have an existing VISA with no work restrictions) Please note: US citizens require a Canadian work visa to work in Canada
• A completed bachelor’s degree or higher in the biological sciences, environmental sciences, or a related discipline
• Possession of a valid driver’s licence with no restrictions
• Ability to rent a vehicle from a rental agency (e.g., Enterprise)
• Wetland classification skills in boreal, parkland, and prairie habitats
• Experience with Esri ArcGIS Pro and Desktop Suite, and/or QGIS and/or google earth
• Ability to work long days (up to 12 hours) in the field and sometimes long shifts (up to 24 days)
• Ability to hike in rugged, steep terrain for long periods of time
• Capacity to work independently and interact positively with project managers, supervisors, clients, field partners, and landowners
• Excellent time management and organizational skills
• Ability to work well under time constraints and meet deliverable targets and deadlines
• Highly-developed ability to follow protocols and work efficiently in the field and office
• Ability to think critically to solve challenging problems
Other Desired Skills:
• Wetland practitioner status
• P. Biol. or BIT designation or immediately eligible
• Experience conducting wildlife surveys, water quality monitoring, or fisheries
• Experience with soils surveys
• Strong interest in working with wildlife, in various sectors
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all duties, which may be associated with this position.
Successful candidates must be able to provide a driver’s abstract that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. Successful candidates must also be able to pass a drug and alcohol test that meets the minimum criteria of WEST and our clients. Candidates must be capable of adhering to all health and safety requirements, outlined by WEST and our clients, for the duration of their employment.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, mental or physical disability, marital status, family status or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, or local law.
To apply: Please visit the careers page at https://west-inc.com/ and select the appropriate job you wish to apply for and following the application instructions provided.