Are you someone with developing leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a trusted partner and a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
Dillon’s Environmental Sciences technical group is looking for an Environmental Technologist to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
At Dillon, we operate as one team. The location of this position is flexible and can be accommodated in either our Dillon Richmond or Calgary offices.
What your day will look like
Field Work and Project Coordination (94%)
1. Environmental field support during construction activities (may include, but not be limited to, conducting breeding bird surveys, nest sweeps, aquatic salvages, wetland delineation, invasive species identification, rare plant identification, erosion and sediment control, water quality monitoring, and sensitive species monitoring).
2. Assessing contractor compliance with environment permits, regulatory requirements, legislation, government approvals, and project environmental protection plans, including auditing and providing onsite guidance to contractors.
3. Implementation of environmental field studies (e.g., environmental assessments, mitigation plans, etc.).
4. Liaising with contractors and clients at construction sites (e.g., kickoff/tailgate meetings, BMPs), as well as clients and regulators
5. Data collection and management.
6. Comply with applicable health and safety procedures and guidelines
7. Assist in report writing and preparation of technical memos, letters, reports, spreadsheets, and figures including daily or weekly inspection report, and safety documents, as required
8. Supports the submission and acquisition of environmental regulatory permits and approvals including the BC Water Sustainability Act, Fisheries Act, Species at Risk Act, BC Wildlife Act, Alberta Water Act and associated code of practice notifications, Alberta Wildlife Act, and Alberta Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act.
9. Contribute technical skills (both office and field related) on a variety of multidisciplinary projects and working collaboratively with teams (including assistance to geoscientists, planners, engineers, technical support staff, etc.) across the company
10. Ability and willingness to travel and conduct work in urban and remote locations within Canada for extended periods
Learning and Development (6%)
1. Commit to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development
2. Contribute to Dillon’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees
What you will need to succeed
1. University Degree or College Diploma from a recognized institution – preferably with a science-based specialization
2. Eligible to register (or is already registered) through a recognized professional association (e.g., College of Applied Biology, BC Institute of Agrologists, Alberta Society of Professional Biologists)
3. 2 or more years of related professional experience preferred
1. Experience in the identification of BC flora and fauna
2. Knowledge of construction site erosion and sediment control measures and Best Management Practices (BMPs)
3. Strong working knowledge of applicable environmental legislation, regulations, and policies including knowledge of federal and provincial BMPs for the protection of aquatic life
4. Experience working on rail, pipeline, and/or renewables projects considered an asset.
5. Ability to take initiative, ownership, and work independently with excellent problem-solving skills
6. Valid Class 5 driver’s license and access to a personal motor vehicle
7. Committed to a culture of safety, quality, and keen attention to detail
8. Strong verbal and written communications skills
Why choose Dillon
Dillon is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation, and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
We live our core values:
• Reliability: words result in actions that build trust;
• Achievement: do the work to hit the target;
• Continuous development: always learning; always adapting; always growing;
• Creativity: discover new possibilities;
• Courage: do the things that matter, especially when it’s hard;
• Inclusiveness: enabling belonging to draw strength from our differences.
In addition, we offer:
Employee share purchase plan
o Dillon is 100% employee owned and share ownership is open to all employees.
A competitive compensation package
o Comprehensive health benefits
o Generous retirement savings plan
o Student loan repayment assistance with matching employer contributions
Flexible work hours and remote working options
o Dillon values its staff and the contributions that are made each day and understands that work arrangements can differ based on personal needs and business needs. We are taking a trust-based approach to oﬀer a variety of ﬂexible and remote work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life.
Learning and Development opportunities
o As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles. The creation and sharing of knowledge allows us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery. The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization.
o We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal, and learning opportunities.
Focus on Innovation
o The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance. In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities.
Employee and Family Assistance program
o A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees.
o Our employees can take advantage of wellness subsidy that can be put towards expenses for a variety of health and/or wellness related activities such as gym membership, purchase of home fitness equipment, yoga classes and dance classes
Dillon is a proudly Canadian, employee-owned, professional consulting firm specializing in planning, engineering, environmental science and management. We partner with clients to provide committed, collaborative, and inventive solutions to complex, multi-faceted projects. With over 20 offices and more than 1000 employees across Canada, Dillon offers a wide range of services related to building and improving facilities and infrastructure, protecting the environment, and developing communities.
Now operating for over 75 years, we continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. Dillon has been listed as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the past 16 years and has the distinction of having achieved Platinum Club member status in this program.
Employment Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at Dillon:
Dillon is committed to the principles of employment equity, inclusiveness, and diversity within our organization. We strive to achieve a workplace where opportunities are based on skills and abilities and that respects and values differences.
Inclusion is more than a word to us, it is the way we choose to run our business.
Please connect with us if you require accommodation in the interview process. We would love to hear from you!