Since we started EDI over 28 years ago, our people have defined our culture and have been instrumental in our success. As we continue to grow, we look for team members who want to make a difference by helping people and the environment. Our culture focuses on teamwork, a positive attitude, and adaptability to dynamic situations. We promote innovation at all levels. Our members are self-motivated, enthusiastic for continual improvement and effective communicators. Through relationships built among team members, we realize that EDI is not just a company, it is our company.
Our benefits include:
• Competitive compensation, including health benefits, RRSP matching, profit-sharing and employee share ownership programs
• A commitment to long-term development through opportunities and support for professional advancement (e.g., internal mentorship, annual professional development budget)
• Working with a team of established industry leaders who excel in the fields of aquatic and terrestrial biology
• A challenging, dynamic, engaging and rewarding work experience
This is a permanent, full-time opportunity for the position of Vegetation Ecologist, supporting our team on various projects throughout Alberta and western Canada. In this position you will collaborate and work with a team of vegetation ecologists, project managers and biologists to provide practical solutions to our clients.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
• Conduct/lead vegetation surveys including vegetation inventories, listed plant species surveys, and weed surveys across various ecoregions in western and northern Canada
• Conduct/lead wetland classification surveys
• Conduct/assist with data entry, analysis and technical reporting including environmental screenings, permit applications, environmental assessments, environmental management plans, and as-built monitoring reports
• Traverse by foot and/or utility vehicle safely through remote, forested, and variable terrain
• Communicate with existing and potential clients leveraging your technical knowledge as opportunities arise in collaboration with the EDI team
• Collaborate with the EDI team to execute proposals, including compiling the appropriate team, relevant experience, project examples and cost estimate
• Support other staff/projects within EDI
• Maintain full COVID vaccination passport/documentation
• Participate proactively in EDI’s health and safety program
We are looking for someone with:
• The desire to grow their career in an established, employee-owned company
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, with exceptional time management skills
• Knowledge of regulatory processes/applications and industry/market sector requirements
• Professional report writing and senior editorial and technical review skills
• The capacity to work in a dynamic environment with senior support
• The ability to prioritize and manage several deadlines and clients
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy, coupled with enthusiasm for continual improvement
• A desire to mentor junior staff
• The ability to conduct fieldwork in remote locations and/or travel between offices
• The aptitude to work collaboratively and effectively with junior, intermediate and senior staff of different disciplines, within teams on various projects of differing complexity, and with First Nations, sub-consultants and government agencies
Job requirements include:
• A minimum of 3 years of related experience (or equivalent)
• B.Sc. degree in biology or related discipline(s); M.Sc. degree optional
• Registration or working towards registration as R.P.Bio., P.Biol. or P.Ag.
• Demonstrated experience in one or more of:
- Terrestrial ecosystem mapping or land cover classification
- Rare plant, weed, and vegetation surveys
- Rangeland health assessments
- Wetland classification
• Demonstrated experience in technical analysis and writing
• Class 5 driver’s licence
At EDI, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and team members. EDI believes that diversity and inclusion among our team members is critical to our success as a growing environmental company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
If you are ready for new challenges and a rewarding career experience, please email your resume and cover letter in confidence: firstname.lastname@example.org with EDI2023-072 in the subject line. Only candidates requested for personal interviews will be contacted.