Paragon is a leading environmental consulting company specializing in vegetation, wetlands, and soils as they relate to natural resource and infrastructure development and reclamation. Our team has the good fortune to work on many of the largest and most dynamic industrial projects in the country. Our reputation with clients is built through using applied science, decades of experience, and consistently sound judgment to help their projects be successful. We recognize the collective strengths of our team and are committed to providing high-quality service, while also providing a safe and rewarding work environment. Paragon offers our team members an engaging and professional workplace that fosters creativity and diversity. We invest in our team by offering competitive salaries and benefits, interesting projects, and numerous professional development opportunities. Paragon is currently seeking Intermediate Vegetation Ecologists to join our team. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Summary of Position:
As an Intermediate Vegetation Ecologist, you will be reporting to the Senior Ecologist and to Project Managers as appropriate for client projects. Your knowledge and skills in plant species identification, vegetation and wetland classification and mapping, vegetation ecology, forestry, wetland and environmental assessment areas will be applied in existing and new client projects or programs, primarily within the oil sands, pipeline, mining and power sectors. Strong data collection and analytical skills are assets, along with effective communication within a team of vegetation and ecological technical staff. This position is responsible for conducting fieldwork, managing, and analyzing data, and for successful intermediate applicants with more experience, supervising and mentoring junior staff through field and reporting tasks, and drafting reports. This position requires a strong understanding of vegetation and wetland science and reclamation, as well as demonstrated writing skills.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Assisting and/or leading detailed vegetation and wetland inventory, assessment, and monitoring data collection in the field (often in remote locations), with limited supervision as a crew and/or field lead while building the skills necessary to grow into larger, more complex roles
• Completing basic to more advanced plot data manipulation, summary, and statistical analyses with direction from more senior staff
• Supervising field activities as crew lead of more junior staff; act as a coach and provide technical support to more junior staff; develop, design and prepare small proposals and reports while participating in large proposal and report production under supervision
• Working with other environmental consulting companies, subcontractors, and regulatory agencies while maintaining Paragon’s reputation
• Assisting the Senior Ecologists and Project Managers with various tasks and managing priorities and schedules for multiple project requests
• Providing input on how best to use new technology to improve field processes
• Attending workshops, meetings, and other similar events
• Exercising good judgment
• Pursuing continuing education and additional professional development
• Preparing and submitting regular, timely and accurate timesheets, expense reports and other relevant documentation
• Assisting with equipment maintenance and safety
• Relevant post-secondary degree from a recognized university or college that is related to Environmental Sciences, Vegetation and Wetland Ecology or Plant Sciences
• Knowledge of the natural resources industry and standards, with at least three years of relevant vegetation and wetland experience in the field and office.
• Experience in the identification of common plant species in Alberta. The ability to identify more difficult (rare) species is an asset. Please provide the region (e.g., boreal, foothills, parkland and/or prairie) and groups of plants (e.g., bryophytes, willows and/or sedges) your knowledge and skills currently span.
• Eligibility to register with Alberta Institute of Agrologists (AIA) or the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists (ASPB)
• Good physical condition with the ability for high mental alertness and moderate physical exertion during field work.
• An absolute, genuine dedication to safe work
• Ability to be productive while working independently as well as in a team setting
• Proficient with computers and software, especially Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook (at least an intermediate level of proficiency)
• Comfortable using advanced GPS units or tablets
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s License, with clean drivers abstract, able to travel throughout the provinces and work weekends when necessary
• Residence in the Edmonton region or a willingness to relocate; candidates located elsewhere will still be considered
• Previous relevant vegetation and wetland work experience in the field and office
• Understanding of the natural resources industry and understanding of associated environmental standards
• Operational knowledge of ArcGIS (including 3D softcopy mapping) and statistical packages (such as R)
• Safety Certificates including First Aid, Advanced driver training, GDII, H2S, OSSA, CSTS, PCST, WHMIS, Bear Aware, ATV/UTV
• ATV/UTV/Argo experience
• Currently registered with ASPB or AIA as a full professional member
• Familiarity with the Alberta Wetland Policy and/or qualified as an Authenticating Wetland Professional
Please submit your application to HR@paragonsoil.com, and include a cover letter that outlines why you would be a good fit for the Paragon team, your resume (with three references) - and indicate whether you are applying for the staff position or contractor pre-qualification. If you want to be considered for the contractor roster, please include your rate sheet.