Since we started EDI 28 years ago, our people have defined our culture and have been instrumental in our success. As we continue to grow, we look for team members who want to grow their careers and make a difference by working with our senior leaders. Our culture focuses on quality, support, mentoring, teamwork, positive attitudes, and flexibility to “do it right” for our clients. We promote innovation at all levels. Our members are self-motivated, enthusiastic for continual improvement and strong communicators. Through relationships built among team members, we realize that EDI is not just a company, it is our company.
Our benefits include:
• A challenging, dynamic, engaging and rewarding career experience
• Competitive compensation, including health benefits, RRSP matching, profit-sharing and employee share ownership programs
• Working with a team of established market sector consultants who excel in their fields of science, environmental assessment and regulatory planning
• A corporate commitment to long-term career and personal development through opportunities and support for professional advancement (e.g., internal mentorship, annual professional development budget)
About this opportunity:
We have an immediate opening for a R.P. Bio. or P. Biol. with ten or more years of experience in biological services within Alberta. Candidates with less experience will also be considered for intermediate positions. The successful person will have a thorough knowledge of local environmental regulations and their application to a wide variety of projects in industry.
This is a permanent full-time opportunity for Intermediate and Senior Aquatic Biologists in our Calgary office. Our ideal candidate has in-depth experience in aquatic biology in western Canada, with strengths in fisheries science, habitat offsetting, effects assessment and the regulatory environment.
We are looking for a driven individual who is ready to take their career to the next level and grow with us.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Designing, planning and/or leading aquatic baseline field programs, aquatic habitat offsetting development, aquatic health assessments, fish and fish habitat assessments, fish salvages and/or water quality field programs
• Managing projects throughout all phases
• Providing technical guidance and direction to junior field staff through supervision, mentoring, and training
• Preparing permit applications and developing technical reports, including environmental assessments and habitat offsetting plans
• Analyzing and interpreting data and preparing technical reports, memos and other project deliverables
• Assisting with the preparation of project budgets and proposals
• Working effectively in a team environment to meet goals of the project productively and safely
We are looking for someone with:
• A thorough knowledge of regulatory processes in Alberta including the Water Act, Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act, Fisheries Act and Canadian Navigable Waters Act.
• A thorough understanding of biological survey techniques
• Flexible and adaptable in identifying and mitigating environmental issues and risks during assessment and construction phases of projects
• A proven record in completing field work productively and safely
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and time management skills
• The ability to work in a dynamic, team-oriented environment with limited supervision
• Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities
• Experience with business development and writing proposals
• A proven record of report writing, including effects assessments and mitigations
• Willingness to travel for field work in remote locations and/or between offices as needed
Job requirements includes:
• A minimum of 10 years of experience related to aquatic biology (less experienced applicants will be considered for intermediate positions)
• A thorough understanding of project management
• Environmental Assessment and permitting experience
• Registration as R.P.Bio. or P.Biol. is required
• Minimum B.Sc. degree
• Class 5 driver’s license
Application deadline: - This position is open until the successful candidates are found. The applications will be reviewed on a biweekly basis.
At EDI, we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates. EDI believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a growing environmental company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
If you are ready for new challenges and a rewarding career experience, please email your resume and cover letter in confidence: firstname.lastname@example.org with EDI2023-076 in the subject line. Only candidates requested for personal interviews will be contacted.