At Matrix Solutions we collaborate across services, disciplines, and geographies to deliver responsive, locally connected, and scalable solutions customized to our clients’ projects and environmental challenges. Our integrated approach is supported by talented professionals and a project management model that encourages synergies, promotes service excellence, and provides cost and time savings.
WHO WE ARE
A Canadian owned environmental and engineering consulting company, with employees strategically located across the country from British Columbia to Ontario.
Our people fuel a solutions powerhouse, tailoring our work for clients and projects where environmental stewardship matters and where we can make a difference.
To be a company where our people and clients can’t imagine working with anyone else.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Our team is made up of diverse people working collaboratively towards common goals. We value the contributions and perspectives of all employees and are committed to equity and diversity initiatives to create a feeling of belonging for all of our people. When we are inclusive and diverse in a way that reflects the broader world we serve, we are able to draw from a wider community of excellence within the regions we operate.
WHAT WE DO
We partner with clients and communities to solve challenges. It’s our job to power progress and shape a better future where our clients, people, communities, and environment thrive.
Are you looking to…
• Develop your Hydrology skills (field, data and reporting) through learning from experienced professionals
• Support projects all the way through, from data collection to report delivery
• Travel for field work throughout Alberta and BC
• Have autonomy and the opportunity to interact and work with a community of technical experts from other Matrix regions.
• Partner with extensive, long standing clients such as coal mines, oil and gas industry leaders, municipal governments, conservation authorities, academia, and private industry.
As a Junior Hydrologist, you will join one our Calgary or Edmonton, Alberta office as part of our Natural Sciences team. The successful applicant will collaborate with a team of scientists (including water quality specialists, aquatic biologists, wetland scientists, geochemists, and quantitative ground water scientists) and engineers on multi-disciplinary projects addressing issues related to water supply and source protection, instream flow needs, effluent discharge and stream/water body loading, environmental protection and management, environmental impact assessments and other dynamic projects. Responsibilities are as follows:
• Active participation in Matrix’s strong safety culture
• Conduct hydrology and climatological assessments for oil and gas, mining and pipeline sectors
• Compile, prepare and conduct analyses of climatologic and hydrometric data
• Apply current scientific knowledge to perform advanced data processing and analysis including statistics and preparation of technical reports
• Support internal and external clients related to environmental assessments including EIA strategy, best management and mitigation practices and environmental monitoring programs including providing expert witness testimony
• Receive supervision, training, mentoring and technical direction and review to junior staff
• Coordinate and organize field crew and equipment resources and complete safety requirements for field programs
• Interact and interface with clients and regulatory agencies
• Contribute to and lead business development activities including proposals and relationship building with clients and environmental regulators
What We Are Looking For
• A Technical Diploma, Bachelor’s, or Master’s degree in biology, forestry, environmental science, geography, or a related field
• 1-3 years of directly related experience including consulting experience
• Experience designing and implementing hydrometric and climate monitoring programs, including long-term monitoring programs and impact assessments
• Demonstrated project management skills including monitoring of budgets, approved project scopes and schedules, organizational skills, staff supervision and team communications
• Experience in regulated surface water projects across provinces
• Involvement in processing and analyzing hydrometric and/or climate time series data
• Experience working with hydrological data management software (Aquarius, Flow Works, or similar)
• Experience with data acquisition platforms, including data loggers, transmitters and environmental monitoring sensors
• Experience with field sampling equipment including Global Positioning Systems, hand held data computers, and stationary and mobile acoustic doppler instrumentation such as velocimeters (ADV), Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers (ADCP), SonTek IQ (or similar) and other conventional methods
• Strong understanding of channel hydraulics and experience with the design and installation of rated flow monitoring structures
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills to respond to clients, stakeholders and colleagues
• Strong written communication skills and technical report writing experience
• Experience operating off highway vehicles including quads, snowmobiles, and Argos as well as jet and propeller driven boats
• A valid class 5 driver’s license with no restrictions and clean driving record
Why Choose Matrix
At Matrix you will be part of an amazing community of collaborative people who live our values and bring industry-leading technical expertise to their work every day. We offer a comprehensive compensation package, which includes RRSP matching, vacation + ‘Me’ days, profit sharing, and opportunities to become a shareholder. We are also committed to flexible work hours and schedules, team-based work, and cross-training opportunities.
Click the Apply button.
Are you the one we're looking for? Please apply to us directly by March 23, 2023. As a note, we are not accepting third party agency applicants at this time.
Matrix is committed to providing a safe and productive work environment and to promoting the health, safety and well-being of our employees. In keeping with our Health & Safety Policy, individuals in safety sensitive positions are subject to pre-employment, pre-access (and in some client cases, random) alcohol & drug testing as well as drivers abstract reviews.
Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada with no restrictions.
We welcome and promote diversity and inclusion in our workplace and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Matrix provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities; including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources directly.
Please follow us on LinkedIn (Matrix Solutions Inc) for ongoing updates about our people and business.
For more information about Matrix Solutions, please visit our website at www.matrix-solutions.com and don’t forget to our bookmark our careers page.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.