At Matrix Solutions we collaborate across services, disciplines, and geographies to deliver responsive, locally connected, and scalable solutions customized to our clients’ projects and environmental challenges. Our integrated approach is supported by talented professionals and a project management model that encourages synergies, promotes service excellence, and provides cost and time savings.
WHO WE ARE
A Canadian owned environmental and engineering consulting company, with employees strategically located across the country from British Columbia to Ontario.
Our people fuel a solutions powerhouse, tailoring our work for clients and projects where environmental stewardship matters and where we can make a difference.
To be a company where our people and clients can’t imagine working with anyone else.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Our team is made up of diverse people working collaboratively towards common goals. We value the contributions and perspectives of all employees and are committed to equity and diversity initiatives to create a feeling of belonging for all of our people. When we are inclusive and diverse in a way that reflects the broader world we serve, we are able to draw from a wider community of excellence within the regions we operate.
WHAT WE DO
We partner with clients and communities to solve challenges. It’s our job to power progress and shape a better future where our clients, people, communities, and environment thrive.
Are you looking to…
• Provide expertise in the field of Soil Science while developing and collaborating with a team to deliver high quality products.
• Have autonomy and the opportunity to interact and work with a community of technical experts from other Matrix regions.
• Partner with extensive, long standing clients such as municipal governments, conservation authorities, academia, and private industry.
• Join a well-respected environmental consulting company.
As a Intermediate Soil Scientist, you will join our Calgary, Alberta office as part of our Natural Sciences team. This job is mainly field based and at times will require travel throughout Alberta. The Intermediate Soil Scientist will work in an integrated team of ecologists, scientists, agrologists, water resource engineers, hydrogeologists, and technologists to deliver a variety of environmental projects. Responsibilities are as follows:
• Active participation in maintaining Matrix’s strong safety culture
• Act as soil discipline lead for soil and terrain impact assessments for pipeline applications, in situ and conventional oil and gas, mining as well as renewable energy projects. Tasks include designing field studies, collaborating with senior technical staff and other disciplines, preparing technical correspondence and project reports.
• Lead and conduct soil classification and terrain surveys, including soil sampling, analyzing field data, interpreting analytical data, and mapping soil according to the Canadian System of Soil Classification
• Develop reclamation plans, conduct Detailed Site Assessments (DSAs) for reclaimed sites, and prepare or review Reclamation Certificate applications
• Provide on-site soil expertise for construction and reclamation monitoring to ensure compliance with environmental and regulatory guidelines and/or commitments
• Offer mentorship, training and technical guidance to junior staff
• Work as project manager for projects and proposals. Tasks include developing project proposals, work plans and project budgets, budget forecasting, resource management, change-order management and client invoicing
• Liaise with contractors and external stakeholders
What We Are Looking For
• B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Soil Science, Environmental Science or a related field
• Proficient in Canadian System of Soil Classification, soil mapping and Western Canadian environmental regulations
• 2-6 years work experience in environmental consulting or related industry
• Professional Agrologist (P.Ag.) designation (optional)
• Able to perform field work over extended periods of time
• Previous experience with remote work including helicopters and off highway vehicles
• Experience providing soil expertise for construction monitoring and working with heavy equipment contractors
• Knowledge and practical application of environmental issues and constraints affecting soils in reclamation and remediation in agricultural and forest settings related to construction
• Strong communication ability, both written and oral with excellent interpersonal skills
• Effective organizational skills with the demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, plan, schedule, and coordinate various activities relating to projects and proposal submissions
• Familiarity with spill response assessments and risk management planning is considered an asset
• Valid class 5 driver’s license with no restrictions
Why Choose Matrix
At Matrix you will be part of an amazing community of collaborative people who live our values and bring industry-leading technical expertise to their work every day. We offer a comprehensive compensation package, which includes RRSP matching, vacation + ‘Me’ days, profit sharing, and opportunities to become a shareholder. We are also committed to flexible work hours and schedules, team-based work, and cross-training opportunities.
Click the Apply button.
Are you the one we're looking for? Please apply to us directly by March 24, 2023. As a note, we are not accepting third party agency applicants at this time.
Matrix is committed to providing a safe and productive work environment and to promoting the health, safety and well-being of our employees. In keeping with our Health & Safety Policy, individuals in safety sensitive positions are subject to pre-employment, pre-access (and in some client cases, random) alcohol & drug testing as well as drivers abstract reviews.
Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada with no restrictions.
We welcome and promote diversity and inclusion in our workplace and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Matrix provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities; including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. Candidates requiring accommodation during the recruitment process are asked to contact Human Resources directly.
Please follow us on LinkedIn (Matrix Solutions Inc) for ongoing updates about our people and business.
For more information about Matrix Solutions, please visit our website at www.matrix-solutions.com and don’t forget to our bookmark our careers page.
While we appreciate all applications we receive, we advise that only candidates under consideration will be contacted.