Millennium EMS Solutions Ltd. (MEMS) is seeking an ecologist with aquatic experience to join our risk assessment team. This position will work with risk assessors and biologists to plan and lead data collection in support of ecological risk assessments, with a focus on aquatic ecological receptors. The work is comprised of a mix of office and field-based work in a demanding consulting environment. This role will also involve the development and mentoring of others to grow their ecological skill set.
The successful candidate will have at least 5 years of directly related experience building aquatic and ecological competencies in a role with progressively increasing responsibility, preferably in a consulting environment. Previous experience, or at least a working understanding, of the ecological risk assessment process and principles is required. CABIN training and certification along with a skill set sufficient to be considered a QAES would be considered assets. Excellent writing skills are essential for this role. Preference will be given to those candidates with strong interpersonal skills, proficiency in presenting complex results clearly, and organizational ability.
Job Purpose: to work as part of the Human Health Risk Assessment team conducting field assessment of different ecological function components, vegetation identification and vegetation health assessment. The ecologist will provide recommendations for mitigation and monitoring, restoration, or reclamation.
The duties include the following responsibilities:
• building and updating in real-time as necessary, succinct, clear and appropriate conceptual site models for contaminated sites that will help inform data collection;
• taking on a supporting role in risk assessments for complex sites, including a basic understanding of the risk assessment process and principles;
• planning, coordinating and undertaking field activities in accordance with a developed scope of work, and applying a broad perspective to identify and communicate when the scope may be insufficient;
• measuring and categorizing aquatic habitat characteristics including: discharge, channel evaluation, habitat inventory, aquatic plant identification and sediment characteristics;
• data collection including sediment and invertebrate sampling which includes identifying appropriate sampling locations based on receptor considerations;
• completing required field tasks relying on your aquatic competencies sufficient to be considered a Qualified Aquatic Environmental Specialist (QAES);
• delineate aquatic transition zones which may include terrestrial plant surveys and ecological function assessments;
• data interpretation and report writing. and
• other duties as required.
Millennium EMS Solutions Ltd. (MEMS) is a dynamic environmental consulting company offering outstanding opportunities and long-term career advancement. Currently MEMS’ employs over 100 employees in various disciplines including, hydrogeologists, engineers, soil scientists, foresters, vegetation ecologists, auditors, biologists, air quality experts, regulatory analysts and reclamation specialists.
MEMS’ offers an excellent benefits program, extra time banking and a performance bonus program. Please send your resume with a covering letter/email referencing the position number and title to the attention of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.