The Wetland Practice Area Committee has met regularly to discuss priorities for the practice area, as well as to help define the process with the Board of Directors for implementing requirements in the practice area. Priority initiatives the committee is currently working on include: identifying a mechanism for self-certification for authenticating wetland practitioners within the ASPB; identifying ways to assess competencies within each knowledge area; identifying ways to clarify wetland policy implementation for practicing members; and hosting the annual wetland workshop.
The ASPB’S 7th Annual Wetland Workshop will be held in mid-May in Cochrane Alberta. Potential topics include:
- Wetland reclamation and restoration case studies
- Wetland pre-disturbance assessment case studies
- Wetland management case studies
- Updates in wetland practice
- Understanding competencies session
- Regulatory panel discussion
To accomplish these initiatives the Committee is looking for volunteers in two areas:
1. To review methods for assessing competency in other professional organizations and to make recommendations on how ASPB might accomplish assessing competencies under the Wetland Professional Practice Standard. This review would be used to determine the feasibility of implementing an internal practice standard on assessing competencies. Requires approximately 20 to 30 hours over the next 3 to 4 months.
2. To help with wetland workshop organization, including program development, coordination and materials preparation. Requires about 10 to 20 hours between now and mid-May.
if you are interested in volunteering, please send an e-mail to email@example.com, identifying the area(s) you are interested in. Please include WPA volunteer in the subject line.