Welcome to the home of the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists (ASPB). As a professional society and self-regulating body, the ASPB is committed to the promotion of excellence in the practice of biology.
The ASPB represents biologists in government, industry, consulting, education, not for profit and enforcement. The Society’s main purpose is to regulate the professional practice of biology in the Province of Alberta to protect the interests of the public. The ASPB is the only organization that is registered under Provincial laws, and it achieved this status in 1991 after approval of The Professional Biologists Regulation and the Alberta Professional and Occupational Associations Registration Act. Registration of the Society gives its members the exclusive use of the title “Professional Biologist” and its abbreviation “P.Biol.”
The purposes of the ASPB are:
- To promote high standards of professional competence and ethics in its membership and in professional biologists at large;
- Provide a common ground for professional biologists in all disciplines to exchange views on matters of mutual interest;
- To promote education in the field of professional biology;
- To provide a mechanism through which the public of Alberta will be assured of the highest possible standards in the practice of professional biology; and
- To provide a recognized voice for professional biologists in Alberta.
Proposed new Membership Categories for ASPB
A draft document has been prepared outlining a proposal for the Affiliation and Integration of Technologists and Registered Biologists within the Society. To read more about this initiative and read the document, go to: Proposed Changes to ASPB Membership Categories